Portable heater safety tips:
- always turn off before bed
- don’t place too close to bedding, curtains and clothing – anything which could catch fire
- always follow the manufacturer’s instructions
If you have any concerns turn the heater off and consult a qualified electrician.
Wood burners and open fires advice:
Ensure your burner is properly installed, maintained and regularly serviced by a qualified person.
- wood burning stoves should be placed on a fire-resistant base and not directly onto a hardwood floor or carpeted surface
- ensure you use the right type of wood or coal
- the chimney or flue should be cleaned at the end of each heating season and at least once during the heating season
- use a protective fireguard
- remove ash and burnt fuel once it has cooled