What do I do first?
After the fire page banner

What do I do first?

There will be so many things going through your mind after a fire - where do you start?

Your health

If you feel unwell after a fire seek immediate medical assistance. Visit your GP or go to your nearest hospital's accident and emergency department, especially if you suffer from respiratory problems and / or you have inhaled smoke.


When the fire service leaves, the building becomes your responsibility.

If you cannot stay in your property, remove all valuables and secure all doors, windows and access to your garden.

You may need a glazier to help board up your property. If you are a council tenant contact your housing department who will arrange this for you.

When it is necessary for us to cover a roof with tarpaulins, they are on loan for seven days. After this a charge per day is made, so you should make arrangements to have them replaced.

If you are leaving your home unoccupied, inform your local police station and ask neighbours to keep an eye on your property.


If your home is not habitable and you can’t stay with family or friends, it may be necessary to make alternative arrangements.

Your insurance policy may cover the cost of bed and breakfast or hotel accommodation. Please check this with your insurance company and make arrangements following their advice.

The housing department of your local authority may be able to assist, see their website for more details.


Accommodation for your pets can be arranged through your local boarding kennels.