Skip to content

Planning for Emergencies

...incidents, disasters & contingency


Flooding, carbon monoxide awareness and adverse weather advice

During flooding

We will attend flooding incidents where there is a life risk or where our actions will make a significant difference to the outcome.

What you can do

  • In times of severe adverse weather, emergency services will be extremely busy, so please call only if there is an immediate threat to life, or serious property or environmental damage.
  • Motorists should not attempt to drive through flooded roads or fords. More advice can be found on our winter driving page.
  • Avoid walking through flooded areas. Even shallow water moving fast can sweep you off your feet and there may be hidden dangers such as open drains, damaged road surfaces and submerged debris.
  • Keep out of flood water where possible, as it can become contaminated with sewerage and chemicals.
  • Property owners – domestic or commercial - are responsible for taking appropriate action to protect their property from flooding.
  • Householders that suffer domestic flooding should contact their insurance companies.
  • Following a flood in your home, make sure all electrical circuits are fully dried out and checked by an electrical engineer before switching back on.


Health advice

up top

Carbon monoxide awareness

Petrol or diesel generators and pumps emit carbon monoxide (CO) within the exhaust gases. This is colourless and odourless, but can be deadly.

Do not use any fuel-driven equipment (petrol or diesel generators and pumps) indoors. If in extreme circumstances this is not possible, ensure the following:

  • Working carbon monoxide (CO) detectors are placed in living spaces or wherever people are located in the house
  • Your CO detector is positioned at head height when working (sat down or standing) and at a lower level when sleeping
  • The room containing the pump or generator is well ventilated before you spend any time in that area


Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms

A headache is the most common symptom of carbon monoxide poisoning. Other common symptoms include:

  • Dizziness and nausea (feeling sick)
  • Vomiting (being sick)
  • Tiredness and confusion

Symptoms are similar to the flu, food poisoning, viral infections and tiredness. It can be easy to mistake the symptoms for something less serious.

What to do if you are experiencing symptoms or your CO alarm sounds

  • Get fresh air immediately
  • Switch off the pump or generator, open doors and windows and leave the house
  • Seek medical advice immediately

Download leaflet - Carbon Monoxide: the dangers PDF 374Kb

up top

Unstable structures

  • We may attend if a property is dangerously unsafe to prevent an incident from escalating.
  • However, you may be advised to contact your local authority or your insurance company to rectify the situation. Your insurance company will have a 24-hour telephone advice line and a list of approved contractors.


Fallen trees

  • If you discover a fallen tree or branches, please contact your local authority to arrange removal.
  • Trees on private land should be dealt with by a professionally qualified tree surgeon.
  • Do not be tempted to use a chainsaw to fell or cut up tree damage unless you are qualified to do so and have the appropriate protective clothing.



  • If you lose electric, gas or have a leaking water pipe in the home then please contact your utility provider for 24-hour emergency advice. View a list of helpful emergency contact numbers and useful links.
  • If you discover a fallen power cable, keep well away from it and contact Scottish & Southern Energy on 0800 072 7282. If there is a risk to life, then please call 999.
  • Following a flood in your home, make sure all electrical circuits are fully dried out and checked by an electrical engineer before switching back on.


More information



After the floods

Flooding can be a disruptive and distressing experience for both individuals and businesses. Help is available to assist with all aspects of dealing with the aftermath of flooding.


  • Sandbags that have not come into contact with contaminated water can be recycled for future use. However, sand in the sandbags, even when not contaminated, is not suitable for children to play in or use in children's sand pits.
  • Check your local authority website for the most current information on sandbag disposal in your area. (Find your local authority contact details).
  • Where sandbags have been deployed to whole streets or neighbourhoods, the local council will take responsibility for their collection and will recycle or dispose of the sacks and sand.


up top

Electric and utilities



  • In the first instance all homeowners affected by flooding should contact their insurance company.
  • However, various forms of funding assistance are available to individuals and businesses that have been affected by flooding. Full grant and funding information is available on Hampshire County Council’s website.
  • Check your own local authority website for details on council tax discounts. (Find your local authority contact details).
  • A dedicated HM Revenue and Customs flood helpline is also available to provide tax advice and assistance to those who have been affected by flooding: 0800 904 7900. The number is available Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm and Saturday and Sunday from 8am to 4pm.

up top

Advice and support


Roads and potholes

up top

Community resilience