Start of main
Thatched Roof Fire
The predetermined attendance (PDA) for this type of incident is:
- Four fire engines (pumps) as large numbers of personnel are required to strip away thatch and extinguish the fire;
- One Water Carrier (WrC) to provide additional water supplies - particularly valuable as many thatched buildings are in remote areas with poor water supplies;
- A Multi Role Vehicle (MrV) with Incident Support load which provides extra hose, breathing apparatus and salvage equipment to enable crews to remove and cover building contents;
- The Emergency Catering Unit (ECU) to provide food and drink, as these incidents can last many hours.
- A Command Vehicle to provide support and communications at the scene;
- An Operational Equipment Technician to assist with large numbers of breathing apparatus sets that personnel are required to wear;
- Two Senior Officers to direct operations.
Protecting your thatched roof: Fire safety advice for property owners