Start of main
What if the electricity fails?
If electricity does fail, it brings different problems in the winter. Alternative lighting will be required, and this may bring further dangers. If candles are used, this brings obvious dangers... (more on candle safety).
- Keep a battery operated light or torch with fresh batteries in a place where you can reach it easily.
- Turn off your electrical appliances and lights, but leave one light switched on so you know when the power is back on.
- Remember that alarm systems will probably not work (unless it has a battery back-up).
- When your electricity supply is back on, you may need to reset electric timers, alarm clocks and so on.
- Food in the freezer should keep for about eight hours without power.
- Do not open the freezer doors unless you have to.
- Check the food when the power is back on to make sure it has not thawed.
- If it has, do not refreeze it.